It’s that time of year again…the holidays!
This is my first year in quite a long time that I can celebrate the holidays without also dealing with finals and term papers. So, I was kinda surprised when I was hit with the holiday blues a few weeks ago. It all started when I took down the Halloween decorations. The house just didn’t feel as festive without my awesome bat window.
Life just happened. I haven’t been reading as much because of NaNoWriMo and I’m super behind on NaNoWriMo because of life. There is still so much stuff on my plate this month and I have no idea how I managed to handle it all, plus school, in the past. I was just feeling down and this time of year is supposed to be happy and festive darn it!!!
So I have been working to change my perspective and get back that holiday cheer. I’ve been writing on my novel almost daily. I’ve started reading short, fun novels. I even started listening to my Christmas music and watching Hallmark Christmas movies (I NEVER do this before Thanksgiving). And I have decided to make a list of the things that make me the happiest during the holidays.
1. Family – One of the best things about the holidays is that we get to spend time with our family. Some we rarely get to see during the rest of the year so its a treat for all of us.
2. Gift Giving – I LOVE picking out the perfect gifts for people. So much so that I usually have my list for everyone done by October.
3. Church – The true reason of the season.
4. Decorations – Christmas lights are definitely my favorite but I do adore our little Charlie Brown tree.
5. Christmas movies – Yes, this does include the cheesy Hallmark ones. I always try to watch the classics too and my all time favorites are Muppet Christmas Carol and Emmett Otter’s Jugband Christmas. Thank you Jim Henson!
6. Hot chocolate – I actually drink this year around but it just seems extra special this time of year. The same goes with all holiday food in general.
7. Christmas music – because Nat King Cole, Elvis, and N’SYNC. Need I say more?
8. Nero Wolfe marathons – You’ll hear more about this after Thanksgiving.
9. Holiday reading – Nero Wolfe, Christmas cozy-mysteries, and all the Jessie Arnold Mysteries that make me wish I wasn’t such a wimp when it comes to snow. Reviews to come!!
All these wonderful things kind of make the holiday blues seem silly. These few things make my season bright. So here is to kicking the holiday blues and focusing on the best parts of the holidays! What do you love about the holidays? Please let me know!